Friday, September 04, 2015

~ Vintage baking - Adam's Extract - German Chocolate Pound Cake

 
I have been looking for this recipe for over a year. 

Many years ago... while visiting the State Fair of Texas... I picked up a recipe card for a German Chocolate Pound Cake. This was back in the late 1980's. And became my go to cake to make for events. Especially if I knew it had to travel in the car with me. 

It makes an excellent dense moist cake. Adding on the traditional coconut/pecan icing,  just makes it ridiculously good. And shows off  how great this cake turns out. 

Somehow my original recipe card, was lost.  Which drove me crazy. I knew it was a cake recipe, from a well know baking product. I was constantly looking at older recipes for it. 

It turns out... it was from Adam's Extract! 

I knew it had real buttermilk... and butter extract in the recipe. I rarely used butter extract. And had it for this cake recipe. Anywho.. those were the key ingredients, I was looking for as I hunted for the one I had used for years.  I am so thrilled that all those hours roaming on Pinterest... were not wasted!  :)

3 comments:

Tanya Rachelle said...

Oh yummy! I love german chocolate cake so I bet I will love this. Love the vintage artwork too! I want to make this recipe!
~Tanya

Farm Girl Pink... said...

It really is a great recipe.

I am a big fan of buttermilk in cakes/recipes.

Yet I hate the taste of buttermilk by itself... but dang it... it really does make a huge difference in how this pound cake turns out.

Heidi Ann said...

That looks really good! German Chocolate Cake is my husband's favorite, and i love the idea of a pound cake rather than the traditional layers - and yes, the addition of the coconut-pecan frosting would be wonderful! I would love to see a photo of the finished product. Yum.