Saturday, November 22, 2014

~ Vintage Sewing Notions... J & P Coats Cotton threads...

Best Six Cord Cotton Thread for Hand and Machine
 J&P Coats

I am one of my family historians, that still has a pulse. I am not the first one to work on my family tree. But I am the last one standing. So many of my older family members have passed away over the last decade. The ones who had been researching, before I was even born. Since I have had this interest in my families past. 


It has lead to the oddest things ending up in my possession. From pictures, bibles, vintage military papers, postcards, Holiday greetings, all kinds of old letters written between sisters... long deceased.  A couple set of lucky domino's of my great grandfathers. Just a potpourri of really neat  oddities. I will take anything that comes with a odd connection to my family. 


So this is how I have ended up with this sweet vintage cardboard box for thread, from J&P Coats. A vintage box that they sold spools of white thread in for your every day sewing needs.  And J&P Coats are still very much in the thread business. All these decades later too. 


The box has my great Aunts name written in pencil on it. Her maiden name. She married in 1920. So I am going to place this box as being made prior to October 1920. I grabbed a couple of old wooden spools of thread I have... to give you an idea about the size of the box. If you look closely towards beneath the spools. You can see the imprint of a 4 inch rules measurements designed onto the box. So nifty!


You may have notice, that I have a glorious turquoise and pink cotton apron, in the back ground of all these pictures. 



That was a gift from ImagiMeri. I participate in an Easter Swap a year ago. 



And she was my swap partner. This gorgeous apron was in that magical Easter swap box.

Now it's time to go take a peek at 

3 comments:

bj said...

I,too, love vintage sewing notions.
I have all of my mothers sewing tools, including her 50's Singer Sewing machine. I must do a post on it all soon..maybe after Christmas.
Your box is delightful...
Happy Pink Sat.
O, and I'm following you now.:)

Farm Girl Pink... said...

I love them too! I saved all my Granny's sewing stuff.

I had meant to add another photo to this post... showing off more wooden thread spools in my collection. I love the spools with bold bright color thread.

Pam~ Virginia Retro said...

I don't even sew but love old sewing things. Yours here are so sweet. My latest love is old needle books with their great graphics.