Saturday, September 27, 2014

~ Vintage Goodness... when Lilac kitchens were an option...

St. Charles Cabinets - 1959

I have used this image before. I love these lilac steel cabinets. I love that at one time that kitchens were meant to look like a kitchen! Not some weirdo living room thing they have turned into lately. Where as the vintage kitchens would have lots of color packed into them. I would be thrilled to walk into a vintage home with a their lilac kitchen fully intact. 

Image my glee when I saw this vintage advertisement for Frigidaire. 

 Frigidaire Washer and Dryers - 1958

Of course there were matching laundry rooms for those lilac packed kitchens! How could you possibly be expect to have clashing colors in your kitchen! Since we all know, that those mid centuries homes, had that washer and dryer sitting out in the middle of everything. 


In the small print. "Sheer Look Design! Choice of five lovely colors - sold by Frigidaire at the price of white!" Oh, holy cow. There were 5 other colors, that were not white?!? Now I want to see the original color line up for these beauties! 


Well those are kinda of pricey at 229.95 for a washer in 1958. But I be danged... if I had all those lilac St. Charles steel cabinets... and not have the matching laundry set!



6 comments:

Rosie said...

Pink, turquoise, avocado, orange...but I've NEVER seen lilac! Awesome! :)

ScrappyMama said...

I think I've finally met someone who LOVES color...COLORS...as much as I do!!!

Farm Girl Pink... said...

I have such a huge fondness of kitchens being colorful. With fabulous colored appliances.

Cactusneedle said...

I agree - a kitchen should look like a kitchen. While I did not go with lavender, I did go with yellow walls and white cabinets and a dark hardwood floor. It's a bright, cheerful room now.

. . . Lisa and Robb . . . said...

Oh swoon! That's delightful!

. . . Lisa and Robb . . . said...
This comment has been removed by the author.