Sunday, August 24, 2014

~ Vintage paper dolls... in odd places...


I have always had a soft spot for paper dolls. I loved them as a child. Had many sets of them from my time period. But it is the paper dolls from the 50's & 60's that I find the most amazing. 

I bought these paper dolls at a garage sale back early in the Spring. I had picked up a few pieces of vintage linens. And I notice a box sitting on the ground. It had a big, dust cover, over sized book sitting in it. Nothing that caught my eye immediately.  I was going to go pay for the few things I had picked up. Yet, something made me stop and look closer at the book sitting in that dusty box. 


Oh, my. It was a Ladies Home Journal interior decorating book. Copyright @ 1954. Yes, it is an amazing Mid Century decorating book. With lots of color photo's. 


I have intentions of doing a post about this Ladies Home Journal book later on... to show off the color filled pictures that are included in it. 

But what this big amazing book was hiding... was a stack of vintage paper dolls beneath it! Ohhh and a Etiquette book by Seventeen Magazine. Which is also going to be another post. I have always loved these vintage books, on how to behave like a lady. 


It goes back to private school for me. And a standard class that all high school girls, had to take,  "Proper Etiquette". Or as I referred to it as... "How to be a proper Baptist wife and throw a dinner party, without embarrassing your husband... class!"  Seriously. It was a require 2 year course. Anywho. I have a new vintage book to add to that collection too. It was hid under that massive decorating book.

But those two books had been protecting the glorious paper doll folders! Yea! 


This is actually a Barbie Coloring book... 


The Barbie books had not been completely cut up. There were a handful of clothes cut out... but the majority of them were still uncut. 

Then there is the Dinah Shore set! Along with the girls from Petticoat Junction!


Then there was the Pink Prom Twins! 


All outfits cut loose... and just all kinds of amazing in their 1950's glory.

But the best of them all... was the Annette Funicello set!


Everyone loved Annette! And she was still property of Disney when these were issued too. Thankfully I made the effort to peek in the dusty box. Not only did I find a nice set of paper dolls... I got an incredible Mid Century interior decorating book too!





2 comments:

spymay said...

Those are so cool. I loved playing with paper dolls as a kid. I love it when you show advertisements showing MCM homes.They really loved color.

janice15 said...

Wow what a lovely find. I have always been a huge fan of paper dolls too played with forever.. Just enjoy my visit so much. Thanks for sharing with love Janice