Sunday, February 26, 2012

A lovely salt and pepper holder.... maybe an Apple?

This is a new one for me. It is a lovely salt and pepper set. And it has multiple pieces.
I am thinking this is a Apple. But who knows for sure. It has a pepper shaker on the left. That sits inside of the apple.
The the salt side... on the right... is a salt cellar. That has a small flower design spoon for the scoop.
How cute is that!?
I am assuming that the holder in front may be used to hold the spoon in also.
There is a green handle between the two apples... that looks like a wanna be branch.
Unfortunately, it does not have a manufacturer mark. So I have no idea who may have produced it. But it does look like a vintage piece of china.

Be sure to look at all the wonderful finds this week at ~Her Library Adventures!

7 comments:

littlechrissy said...

Looks like an apple to me! How adorable it comes with a blossom spoon.

Jem said...

They look like the love children of apples and peaches! :-)

Jem xXx

Bev C said...

I collect salt and pepper sets, and there is another possibility. Some old sets have a salt shaker, pepper shaker, and a small container which looks like an open salt. I wondered why a set would have both an open salt and salt shaker,so I did some research and learned that the small dish with the spoon in those sets is called a mustard pot. Apparently, it was common many years ago to sprinkle dry mustard over food (this practice is more British than American). So the larger container could be the mustard pot and the smaller one could be the open salt. However, this is just conjecture on my part, as I have never seen a set with the mustard pot in which the salt is open rather than a shaker.

Jeanne said...

A rosy apple blossom (think Betsy-Tacy) spoon makes me want to say it's an apple, but it looks more like a pepper to me. I love it.

Farm Girl Pink... said...

@ Bev C.

I have been puzzled about this piece. The little spoon actually fits in that larger apple. The apple has a slight cut out for the handle to lay in.

So I am thinking I may be missing a spoon. And it is a mustard container with its spoon.

And the salt cellar is the the small open container in front. Missing its spoon.

Bev C said...

Another possibility is that the open salt never had a spoon. It was common for the mustard pot to have its own spoon; however, the open salts often did not. You could use a small silver plate salt spoon if you wanted.

Mrs Klaas said...

I believe this is Taylor, Smith & Taylor appleware from Chester, WV. Here is the link that tells you about it
http://www.laurelhollowpark.net/tst/tst-p8.html
msklaas@windstream.net