Sunday, February 05, 2012

Everyone needs one.... Pickle Castor...

What a beautiful piece of glass. And everyone knows I love the oddities. So purchasing a Victorian era/turn of the century(?) pickle castor doesn't even seem out of the ordinary for me. :)  

It is tarnish. Mostly cause I decided not to attempt to clean it. I have left the patina in place. For I was afraid that I would end up damaging it. It has a heavy metal base, like it is made of silver. Yet, I can not guarantee it. But it is a very old piece.
The glass container and the matching lid are elaborately decorated. The glass base jar has 3 different scene's with deer's and big buck's. Looking all manly. But it is a interesting piece of table ware.
I tried to find a way to show off the graphics. But I find my pictures lacking and  could have done a better job. I am missing the tongs that belong to it. But I have seen them in the past and they don't come cheap. 

Be sure to check out all the neat finds at Her Library Adventures

3 comments:

Liz said...

Good find - very unusual!
Liz @ Shortbread & Ginger

spymay said...

I bet the graphics would pop if you put a green piece of paper in there-something colored to show the white etching.It's lovely.

Protector of Vintage said...

Such a lovely and unique find!!