Friday, January 20, 2012

Vintage pot holder rack.... Mexico....

This is a wonderful vintage pot holder hanging rack from the late 1930's/early 1940's. It is hand painted with this tropical motif with a pink background. And it is marked "Mexico" on the side.

My grandparents, though both had been raised in Oklahoma, moved to Brownsville Texas in the late 1930's. And in the late 1930's, southern Texas was gorgeous. I have some great pictures of them living there. And the place was beautiful. 

Anywho.... my Granny was a woman who liked to decorate. She was consistent in keeping with the new looks and colors. But she was also someone who never thew away anything willingly. And this charming holder was purchased in south Texas 80 years ago. Then manage to take the trip back to Oklahoma. Where it lived in storage at her home for decades. Where I came across it after she had passed away and we were cleaning out the house and her storage building.
And you will notice that the actual rack part of it... is a child size rolling pin. A sweet pink handle rolling pin. 

I was going to add in my new quilt to this Pink post.... but decided it needed its own post...
http://farmgirlpink.blogspot.com/2012/01/oh-so-pretty-my-new-quilt.html

Please be sure to take a peek at all the wonderful pink things at: 

http://howsweetthesound.typepad.com/my_weblog/2012/01/pink-saturday-january-21-2012.html

11 comments:

Lorraine said...

That rack is so cute, and I love the potholders too! Thanks for sharing. Happy Pink Saturday!! ~Lorraine ♥♥♥

Jil~Say It With Roses said...

What a sweet, touching post! I know you were so happy to find this and it is so nice that you are using it, too!
HPS!
♥ Jil

Suzann said...

I love that cute rolling pin and the hot pads.
Thanks for sharing your pink with us!!
Happy Pink Saturday

Protector of Vintage said...

Love the cute rack!!

Elaine said...

A sweet little treasure from the past.

Dixie said...

very-very cute!

chubskulit said...

Beautiful pink!

My PINK is inviting you to come and see. Have a nice weekend!

Ann said...

Such an adorable pot holder, very cute pink!! Great that its a family heirloom.
Ann

1CardCreator said...

Wow, this is so sweet! So glad I saw you at Beverly's Pink Saturday. ~Diane

Jenn said...

Very wonderful pinks and memories. I have a small rolling pin, just the pin. BUT that makes a good idea for me to work it into something like that. I'll have to think about that. Does your rolling pin actually roll? Mine does, I think. It has red handles. Enjoyed sharing your post and memories with you. Happy Pink Saturday! Jenn

Jenny's Heart said...

I love it! What a cool granny you had :)