Sunday, March 10, 2013

~ Jeannette Glass... The Jadeite Measuring Cups...


I have been collecting for my kitchen since I was 15. This was around 1983. Yes, I am old as dirt...  lets move on... :)

My sister had gotten married. And her new home was a newly gutted and renovated Cottage style home. She had decided to decorate to the time period of the house. Which was probably the late 1930's early 1940's. 

At the time her husband was not at all interested in being dragged through estate sales, flea markets and antique stores. I am telling you, they could have been offering free beer for every purchase... and he still would have said no. So I was appointed her shopping buddy. 

Some of the first glass I recall seeing that I was in love with...  was Jadeite. 
Even in 1983 it was very much in demand. I had grew up in a house where my Mother had collected all kinds of depression glass. My grandmother had all kinds of older glassware in her kitchen. But I had no memories of seeing any Jadeite, till I started going to estate sales.

So through the years I would come across misc pieces of the Jadeite measuring cup set. All well loved. All nicked somehow on the rims. And I had purchased a couple of the 1 cup and 1/2 cup scoops. I use them to this day in my sugar and flour canisters.

Then I came across this wonderful boxed set. I would like to say I got a deal on them. 

But I didn't. Not even close. 


There is an issue with the spelling of Jadeite versus Jadite. They are both correct spellings. Just depends on which one you choose to use. 
My Mother and sister have tried numerous times, to get me to part with this set. But that simply is not ever gonna happen. I am getting buried with them. :) 

Be Sure to check out all the fun things at...
~The Chicken Chick!

(**This is a repost... I had horrible dark pictures with this post originally ... and have updated them***)

11 comments:

Charlene Austin said...

OMG.....what a find! You are so lucky. I collect Jadeite too and have approx 160 pieces but have never come across the measuring cups. I'd love to know what you paid if you don't mind me asking.

Recently I've been thinking that it will be sad when my collection goes in an estate auction since I don't have kids to pass it on to. I think I like your idea....I'll take them with me. Lol.

Farm Girl Pink... said...

I purchased the measuring cup set back in the mid 1990's.

And I paid 150.00. *ack*

I still choke when I think about it now.

They were in a Antique store in Cooke Co. Texas... and where there for a good 6 months before I talked myself into paying for them.

But I can honestly say I never came across another set in the box. (In person.)

I have some more of the Jeannette measuring cups in the depression glass colors. (pink!)

Charlene Austin said...

Girl, I would have paid that in heart beat! Especially because of the box. I say good score!

I love your blog. I found you on Pyrex Collective (but I don't collect Pyrex) and I added you to my Reader. I'll be back for sure. Have a great day!

Mecky said...

They are Beautiful! I would of paid that for them, too. Of course, my DH might of shot me!
I have only two. A one cup and a 1/2 cup.

Sir Thrift-A-Lot said...

Good deal or not, always fun to spoil yourself! That's too pricey for me, though. $40 is a spoil for me. They are fabulous, though.

daisy said...

How cool is that?!! Is it pronounced just like it's spelled-JAAA-DITE?

Mecky said...

I should update you on mine. I now have a complete set! No box, of course. Love them!!

Countrified Hicks said...

Those are GORGEOUS! I would love for you to come and share it on my weekly link up that just went live. http://countrifiedhicks.blogspot.com/2013/03/mondays-with-countrified-hicks-6.html

Feel free to link up to 3 posts!

Farm Girl Pink... said...

~Mecky...

Did you post pictures of your cups yet?

Sometimes I feel like I am the only one out here, obsessing about these silly vintage measuring cups. :)

Kathy Shea Mormino, The Chicken Chick said...

What a great collection.....Thank you for sharing with the Clever Chicks Blog Hop this week; I hope you’ll join us again!


Cheers,
Kathy Shea Mormino

The Chicken Chick

http://www.The-Chicken-Chick.com

Debra Church said...

I recently bought a set just like yours for $30. I love jadeite.